Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentines Day 2008

I am no Lothario or a Don Juan so that pretty much explains how that certain part of my life is. But sometimes, on a very rare circumstance, no matter how repulsing I can be to the opposite sex, weird things do happen.

I frequently go to this kopitiam somewhere near the city center for lunch and occasional dinner. The food stalls here don't serve drinks unlike in da pilipins, so I had to buy my drinks from a separate beverage/refreshment stall which usually have seemingly sweet little old ladies, affectionately called Aunties, serving you.

Tandang Tanda ko pa ang una naming pagtatagpo:

Auntie: Whachawant!(pasigaw)
Me:(huh?!)One Iced lemon tea auntie.
Auntie: WHAT?!
Me: Iced Lemon tea. (still calm)
Auntie: (Gets Chrisantemum Tea)
Me: Auntie, wait, Iced Lemon Tea! (pointing to the can)
Auntie: ALAMAAK! You speak louder leh!
Me: Sorry (getting the tea, and handing the payment)
Auntie: Your English no Good! (smacking the 50 cent change on the table)

At that moment, I felt my eye twitch and my hearbeat skipped. I would have thrown that 50 cent smack dab at her face If not only for my years of Christian upbringing and the voices of a thousand angels coming down from heaven saying how I would burn for eternity but not before having my butt caned and fined $10000 SGD with GST. Okay, That may have been over the top, but that sure had my blood pressure shot up.

Having used to expriencing We're-glad-to-serve-you-because-we-need-our-job kind of hospitality, it's like a douse of freezing water to wake you up on a lazy afternoon nap.

I like to eat at the place, and I need to drink afterwards, so this sort of "friendly" exchange went on for a while. Sometimes, Auntie doesn't even make an eye contact. So, with this, overtime, I gradually warmed up to her. I just take the can, pay, no eye contact, no words, done. Two can play that game you know.

But today:

Me: (Where's that stupid Iced lemon tea? Argh, no more already! No choice but take the Chrisantemum tea)
Auntie: Hello! (Smile)
Me:(0_o)!?





I was like..






and










and





(tssss! ssmoookin....)

(just kiddin on the last one xp)

Auntie: Wah, different today ah? Auntie saved 1 Lemon tea can for you. (picks a can at the corner hands it over)
Me:(:snapping out) ah Thank you Auntie! xie xie! (hands payment and trying to look grateful)Auntie: (::hands over the change) Xie Xie! (smile)


Weird? Freaky? It's a stuff of Twilight zone!












"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension. A dimension of sound. A dimension of sight. A dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both style and substance of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone"


But what if she added:












Maybe I'll bring a bottled water next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home